This Vegan Caesar Salad with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas and Kale is so good. You would never know it was vegan. When making this salad I like to use my favorite VEGAN MAYO. I really don’t notice a difference in taste.
I use vegan mayo often and will share more recipes with it soon. Recently, I made deviled eggs in the Instant Pot and used my vegan mayo for that recipe. Yummy! Alright, enough about that….let’s get to cooking, shall we?
I know what you’re thinking. Use Kale? Here are my thoughts on using kale in a salad. I prefer Lacinato Kale and can usually find it at my local Whole Foods. There is something about the kale in this salad that makes it delicious and stands out from romaine lettuce.
Do you massage your kale? You better!
My secret to making it taste good? Massage the kale. HA!! Hear me out on this. When you take the leafy part of the kale off of the rib, give it a good wash under cold water, remove the gritty part. Then, take your hands and massage the kale. It will help release the sugars within the leaves to balance the bitter flavor that you’re used to.
Place the cleaned kale leaves in a large bowl, pour a little bit of olive oil on top, plus a pinch of salt, and gently knead the leaves for about 3 minutes. Sounds strange but trust me on this one. It will transform the taste and texture of the kale.
So go on and massage your kale and make my Vegan Caesar Salad with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas today for lunch.
Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- Combo of seasonings sprinkled over the chickpeas (smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic salt)
Kale Caesar Salad
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo or you can use tahini
- ½ lemon, freshly squeezed
- 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 4-5 capers, smashed and a splash of caper juice (trust me)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large bunch Lacinato kale
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF. To prepare the Roasted Chickpeas, toss the chickpeas with olive/avocado oil and seasonings of your choice in a bowl, then pour them into a rimmed baking sheet. Arrange them into a single layer, then bake until crisp, about 25 minutes.
- Now it’s time to prepare the vegan caesar dressing. Stir together the vegan mayo/tahini, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, smashed capers, caper juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Stir until smooth, be sure to try it. You want to make sure the flavors are to your liking.
- To assemble the salad, remove the tough stems from the kale leaves and use your hands or a sharp knife to rip the kale into small pieces. I julienned my kale, similar to how you would cut basil. Toss the leaves with the dressing. I always toss the dressing with the salad, I want to make sure the dressing is coating the kale.
- When the chickpeas are done roasting, let them cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle them generously over the kale salad and serve. Leftovers can be stored separately in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Did you enjoy making this Vegan Caesar Salad with Spicy Roasted Chickpeas? You might like these recipes:
- Crockpot Vegan Bolognese with Red Wine
- The BEST Vegan Edible Cookie Dough
- The BEST Eggplant Teriyaki (Vegan)